How does what I eat affect my breath?

Bad breath (halitosis) is an unpleasant condition that can be cause for embarrassment. If you don't brush and floss daily, particles of food remain in the mouth, collecting bacteria, which can cause bad breath. Food that collects between the teeth, on the tongue and around the gums can rot, leaving an unpleasant odor. 

If you think you have constant bad breath, keep a log of the foods you eat and make a list of medications you take. Certain foods and medications may play a role in creating mouth odors. Let your dentist know if you've had any surgery or illness since your last appointment.

Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste to remove food debris and plaque. Brush your tongue, too. Once a day, use floss to clean between teeth.
Certain foods and beverages are notorious for causing halitosis, better known as bad breath. Some of the biggest culprits include:
  • garlic
  • raw onions
  • cabbage
  • coffee
  • alcoholic beverages
This list is by no means exhaustive, however. In fact, all kinds of food particles can leave your breath smelling pungent if allowed to linger in your mouth, causing bacteria to build up. Brushing and flossing regularly can help keep your breath smelling fresh.

Continue Learning about Bad Breath (Halitosis)

Breath Stress . . . Be Gone!
Breath Stress . . . Be Gone!
Get an upset stomach and here's what else you can get: bad breath. How can you keep that total turnoff from happening? Yogurt. Not only is it easy on ...
What is best treatment option for severe bad breath?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If your dentist determines that your mouth is healthy and that the odor is not of oral origin, you m...
What could cause a rotten taste in my mouth?
A rotten taste could be related to halitosis, also known as bad breath. Bad breath is an unpleasa...
How to Banish Bad Breath
How to Banish Bad Breath