Will all bacteria in the mouth cause oral bacterial infection?

No, not all bacteria in the mouth, or elsewhere in our bodies, are harmful. In fact, most bacteria found in our bodies are necessary and helpful. Only a few forms (less than 1% of all bacteria) cause disease; these are called pathogens. Bacterial oral infections are caused by these destructive forms of bacteria. Bacteria are harmful when they form toxins, when they invade tissues where bacteria do not belong, or when they do a combination of both.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

How to Spot the Warning Signs of a Flesh-Eating Infection
Ah, summer. The time of year for beaches, barbecues and… flesh-eating disease? Possibly. Anecdotally, there do seem to be more news reports of necro...
How do I manage typhoid fever on a daily basis?
The most important part of managing typhoid fever is taking the antibiotics that your doctor prescri...
How can I protect my baby from group B strep?
The best way to protect your baby from group B strep is to be tested near the end of your pregnancy ...
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?