What do I need to know about caring for someone with typhus?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you are caring for someone with typhus, you will need to be sure not to spread the infection. If the person contracted typhus from body lice, be sure to wash his or her clothing and linens in extremely hot water and dried on the highest temperature to kill the lice. Typhus symptoms are similar to flu symptoms, so the person in your care may experience fever, vomiting, and general discomfort. Make sure someone with typhus takes his or her antibiotics, as they are necessary to get rid of the illness.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Is It Just a Sore Throat—or Something More Serious?
Before you wake up and open your eyes, you know something’s wrong. You feel like someone’s raked your throat with hot needles. Ouch. If you’ve also g...
Can bacterial vaginosis (BV) go away on its own?
While some bacterial vaginosis (BV) infections will go away on their own, most do not. They can be s...
If I have bacterial vaginosis, does my partner need to be treated as well?
The female partner of a woman with bacterial vaginosis (BV) may also have it and should be tested an...
How common is tracheitis?
Tracheitis is a rare bacterial infection. It affects children, especially those who have recently ha...