What is an ovulation kit?

An ovulation kit is an over-the-counter test that helps women track ovulation. It measures the levels of LH, or luteinizing hormone, in the urine. LH, which is produced by the pituitary gland, is made all the time. More LH is produced 24 to 48 hours before ovulation, and that LH surge triggers ovulation. The test should be done the same time each day for a few days to get optimal results. Ovulation kits are not 100 percent accurate. Some health conditions can cause a false positive and some medications can lower LH levels.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

What is tracheitis?
Tracheitis, also known as bacterial tracheitis or acute bacterial tracheitis, is an infection of the...
What is the importance of good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Nearly one-third of the dry weight of our stool is bacteria. Hundreds of different species of "g...
If I have bacterial vaginosis, does my partner need to be treated as well?
The female partner of a woman with bacterial vaginosis (BV) may also have it and should be tested an...
Is tracheitis serious?
Yes, tracheitis is a serious childhood infection. Prompt medical attention is vital when a child sho...