What makes bacterial vaginosis (BV) a serious concern for pregnant women?

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a serious concern for pregnant women because studies have shown that women with untreated BV are at higher risk of delivering prematurely or giving birth to a low-weight baby. Not all vaginal infections cause pregnancy problems, but BV is potentially serious and requires attention. Screening and treatment is appropriate for pregnant women with symptomatic BV. Follow-up may be needed during the pregnancy. The most common cause of premature birth from BV is premature rupture of membranes.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Hawaii Health Alert: How to Spot the Warning Signs of a Flesh-Eating Infection
Beaches, trails and waterfalls are hallmarks of the sunny outdoor lifestyle Hawaii residents enjoy—but lurking beneath the surface of our sparkling wa...
How is an abscess treated?
Dr. Kathleen Handal, MDDr. Kathleen Handal, MD
When a boil turns into an abscess (large collection of pus), it might need to opened, drained, clean...
What is a throat abscess?
A throat abscess is sometimes a rare complication of strep throat. Symptoms may include extreme diff...
How Can I Prevent an Antibiotic-Resistant Infection?