What are the treatment options for tracheitis?

Treatment options for tracheitis include endotracheal intubation and antibiotics. Endotracheal intubation is the insertion of a plastic tube into the trachea through a child's nose or mouth. Tracheitis typically causes swelling of the trachea, which could result in a blocked airway. The tube keeps the airway open, allowing the child to breathe. Antibiotics such as vancomycin or cefuroxime are given intravenously to combat the infection.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Chipotle Linked to Multiple Food Poisoning Outbreaks
The bad news seemingly just won’t stop for Chipotle. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced yet another outbreak of food poiso...
Is it safe to treat pregnant women who have bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
All pregnant women with symptoms of bacterial vaginosis (BV) should be tested and treated if they ha...
What are some common misconceptions about bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
There are some common misconceptions about bacterial vaginosis (BV). To be clear, BV: Is not a ma...
How Can I Prevent an Antibiotic-Resistant Infection?