What are the symptoms of Elizabethkingia?

An Elizabethkingia infection usually causes severe symptoms and makes people feel very sick. The symptoms depend on where in the body the infection is. It most often affects the bloodstream, causing fever, shaking and chills. It can cause redness and inflammation of the skin. If it’s in the respiratory tract, people may have shortness of breath. Elizabethkingia can cause meningitis, leading to symptoms like severe headaches, nausea, vomiting and a stiff neck.

Blood tests can make the diagnosis, but because the infection is so rare, the tests may have to be done at specialized labs.

Keep in mind, however, that healthy people rarely become sick from Elizabethkingia. Most cases happen in healthcare facilities and affect people who have weakened immune systems, such as newborns, the elderly, and those with serious health problems like cancer, kidney failure or diabetes. 

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Is It Just a Sore Throat—or Something More Serious?
Before you wake up and open your eyes, you know something’s wrong. You feel like someone’s raked your throat with hot needles. Ouch. If you’ve also g...
How do other illnesses affect tracheitis?
Certain illnesses make children more susceptible to developing tracheitis. For example, it frequentl...
What can happen if I don't seek treatment for my bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
Left untreated, bacterial vaginosis (BV) can lead to other problems and complications, which may inc...
How Can I Prevent the Spread of Superbugs?