How can people get infected with Clostridium difficile (C. difficile)?

When a person takes antibiotics, good germs that protect against infection are destroyed for several months. During this time, people getting medical care can get sick from C. difficile if the germ is spread to them from contaminated surfaces, such as sinks, or from healthcare providers' hands.

A report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that C. difficile is not just a problem in hospitals—it is a patient safety issue in all types of medical facilities including hospitals, nursing homes and outpatient facilities. Fortunately, the report also shows that some hospitals are showing success in preventing C. difficile infections.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

How is bacterial vaginosis (BV) treated?
BV is treated with antibiotic medicines prescribed by your doctor. Your doctor may give you either m...
What are the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
The most common vaginal infection in women of childbearing age, which happens when the normal bacter...
How can I prevent Clostridium difficile infection (CDI)?
If you are given antibiotics for an infection, ask your doctor about the potential of developing Clo...
What are some tips for discussing sexual assault with my child in college?
When discussing sexual assault with your child in college, here are some topics you may want to touc...