How common is Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) infection?

C. difficile is a germ that causes diarrhea and other intestinal problems linked to 14,000 U.S. deaths annually. C. difficile infections cost at least $1 billion in extra health care costs annually.

While rates of many other health care associated infections have declined, hospital stays caused by C. difficile infections tripled in the previous decade. It remains one of the most concerning patient safety threats today, especially to adults. Infection risk rises with age; almost half of infections occur in people younger than 65, however, more than 90% of C. difficile deaths occur in people 65 and older.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Drug-Resistant UTIs On the Rise—What This Means For You
About 60 percent of women and 12 percent of men will get at least one urinary tract infection (UTI) during their lifetimes. These common infections, w...
Is bacterial vaginosis (BV) curable?
Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is usually curable using prescription antibiotics. These antibiotics may be...
What can happen if I don't seek treatment for my bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
Left untreated, bacterial vaginosis (BV) can lead to other problems and complications, which may inc...
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?