How do doctors treat bacterial throat infections if I have allergies?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Penicillin and amoxicillin are the treatments of choice for bacterial throat infections. However, some people are allergic to penicillin. They may also be allergic to amoxicillin, which is a similar drug. These people can be given alternate antibiotics, such as cephalexin, erythromycin, or azithromycin. All of these drugs are effective in eliminating throat infections. It remains important to take a full ten-day course of antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Drug-Resistant UTIs On the Rise—What This Means For You
About 60 percent of women and 12 percent of men will get at least one urinary tract infection (UTI) during their lifetimes. These common infections, w...
How can I protect my baby from group B strep?
The best way to protect your baby from group B strep is to be tested near the end of your pregnancy ...
How are bacteria identified in bacterial infections?
Bacteria are microscopic organisms that are identified by their shape, cell wall, and need for oxyge...
What are secondary bacterial infections?
Secondary bacterial infections are bacterial infections that occur in individuals that have already ...