How is an abscess treated?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine Specialist

When a boil turns into an abscess (large collection of pus), it might need to opened, drained, cleaned and then packed in order for it to heal, called an incision and drainage. This might be done by an emergency medicine (EM) doctor or by a surgeon. This is a painful procedure so it is often done in the OR.

Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Chipotle Linked to Multiple Food Poisoning Outbreaks
The bad news seemingly just won’t stop for Chipotle. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced yet another outbreak of food poiso...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with typhus?
If you are caring for someone with typhus, you will need to be sure not to spread the infection. If ...
How can I find out which countries have cholera outbreaks?
It's always a good idea to find out if there are any infectious disease outbreaks in a country you a...
Are Superbugs in Hospitals?
Are Superbugs in Hospitals?