How do medications treat diphtheria?

The two medications used to treat diphtheria are antitoxins and antibiotics. The antitoxin neutralizes the toxin produced by the bacteria linked to diphtheria. It is administered by injection after confirming that the individual being treated is not allergic to the medication. The antibiotic kills the bacteria causing the infection.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infection Treatment

Are there alternative treatments for diphtheria?
There are no proven alternative treatments for diphtheria. In fact, if you think you have diphth...
What is the treatment for cholera?
The treatment for cholera is aimed at reducing the symptoms of diarrhea and dehydration. Therefore, ...
Can I manage my secondary bacterial infections on a daily basis?
A secondary bacterial infection can have a significant impact on your life, depending on what kind o...
How do I manage my vestibular neuronitis on a daily basis?
Vestibular neuronitis is characterized by a sudden bout of vertigo that can be incapacitating. To ma...