How do I care for someone with vestibular neuronitis?

Generally, vestibular neuronitis clears up on its own in 7 to 10 days. To care for a person with the disorder during this time, you need to help that person manage his or her symptoms. Also make sure the person takes any antihistamines, antiemetics, or other drugs prescribed as directed. It is also important to make sure the person you are caring for does not get dehydrated if vomiting is a factor. You may want to watch out for signs of possible complications, such as hearing loss, slurred speech, fainting, high fever, weakness, paralysis, double vision, or convulsions.

If you are caring for someone who has persistent vertigo after contracting vestibular neuronitis, you will need to take special care to be sure the person does not fall because of their dizziness. This may mean ensuring they don't walk around in the dark, drive or wear difficult or heeled shoes. To help the person you are caring for become more independent, you can outfit your home with guardrails and offer assistive devices, like walkers, to the person you are caring for.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infection Treatment

What do I need to know about caring for someone with cholera?
Caring for someone with cholera involves treating the symptoms of the disease, which can cause s...
What are treatment options for secondary bacterial infections?
Antibiotics are the most common treatment for secondary bacterial infections. Antibiotics are groupe...
Are there alternative treatments for typhus?
While you may be able to use other remedies to ease the symptoms of typhus, you still need an antibi...
How do I manage my vestibular neuronitis on a daily basis?
Vestibular neuronitis is characterized by a sudden bout of vertigo that can be incapacitating. To ma...