What are the differences between bacterial and viral conjunctivitis?

Viral and bacterial conjunctivitis are similar, but differ in several key ways. First, bacterial conjunctivitis can be cured with antibiotics, while the viral form cannot. Second, there is a slight variation in symptoms. With viral conjunctivitis, the discharge from the eye is clearer and less thick than with the bacterial infection. Viral conjunctivitis can also cause painful swelling in the lymph node nearest the ear, a symptom not experienced with bacterial conjunctivitis.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Eye Infections

What are corneal infections?
Sometimes, the cornea is damaged when a foreign object penetrates the tissue, such as if the eye is ...
Do bacterial eye infections affect adults differently than children?
Children and adults experience the same types of bacterial eye infections. Symptoms and treatmen...
What should I do about my pink eye?
Unfortunately, there is no cure for epidemic conjunctivitis pink eye. It is a viral infection that u...
When should I see a doctor for symptoms of a bacterial eye infection?
If you are experiencing symptoms of a bacterial eye infection, it is important to see your doctor to...