How long does bacterial cystitis last?

When a woman has an uncomplicated cystitis, a 3 day course of antibiotics suffice and in men, a longer duration is usually recommended due to the differences in the anatomy of the urethra and bladder.  If there is no improvement after 2-3 days, check with your doctor about the results of the urine culture and whether switching to a different antibiotic is appropriate.

Ideally, cystitis should be treated with a single course of antibiotics, particularly among women. Very often, there is significant improvement within the first day itself. Among men, it might take longer because treatment of the prostate might be necessary. In case there are recurrent episodes you might need to consult an urologist, a doctor who specializes in urinary tract disorders.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Cystitis

What are the chances of recurrence for bacterial cystitis?
Bacterial cystitis does reoccur and women tend to get infections more than men. You should see your ...
What is bacterial cystitis?
Bacterial cystitis occurs when the bladder gets infected with bacteria. It is also known as urinary ...
How do I manage bacterial cystitis on a daily basis?
You can manage cystitis on a daily basis by drinking plenty of fluids, especially water. Taking show...
Should I talk to my doctor about my bacterial cystitis symptoms?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
Yes, the common symptoms of this condition include frequent urination, urgency of urination, pus in ...