What is spinal pain?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Spinal pain, or back pain, is pain caused by a variety of disorders that can affect the spine. Spinal pain is often caused my minor injuries, such as a pulled muscle or a sprain. Sometimes spinal pain is caused by a problem with the pieces of cartilage-like material known as disks or discs that lie between each vertebra, which are the bony segments of the spine. The disks can change shape or move out of place and press against nerves in the spine. In other cases, such conditions as arthritis or scoliosis change the shape of the spine and cause pain. Much less commonly, a spinal infection or cancer in the spine can cause spinal pain.

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Got Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to Blame
Got Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to BlameGot Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to BlameGot Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to BlameGot Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to Blame
Weren’t involved in an accident? Didn't lift anything heavy? Here are some other possible culprits. Back pain is common. In fact, 8 out of 10 people ...
What Sex Positions Are Best for Women Who Have Back Pain?
What Can I Do If My Low Back Hurts When I Exercise My Core?
Why Is Low Back Pain so Common?
Why Is Low Back Pain so Common?