What is spinal cord stimulation for pain management?

Spinal cord stimulation is a form of stimulation used in pain management for controlling persistent pain after back surgery, complex regional pain syndrome, pain with peripheral vascular disease and other conditions. It consists of placing electrical leads into the spinal canal to stimulate the spinal cord. The leads are then attached to a small generator like a pacemaker that is implanted under the skin. 

Dr. Michael E. Steuer, MD
Pain Medicine Specialist

Spinal cord stimulation is most commonly used as an interventional therapy for chronic back or leg pain. A spinal cord stimulator delivers small electrical signals through a lead implanted in the epidural space. These signals inhibit the perception of pain before it reaches the brain, making you feel relief instead. In many cases, it is an effective alternative to other therapies that have failed to manage pain on their own.

Continue Learning about Back Pain

All About YOU: How to Relieve Back Strain and Pain
If you've ever experienced back strain, you know that on a scale of 1 to 10, the pain ranks at a 692. And you can think of nothing better than having...
How is chronic low back pain treated if the cause is not known?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
Treatments for chronic low back pain can vary greatly depending on the type and source of the pain. ...
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
These seemingly harmless habits can leave your back screaming for mercy.
What Should I Ask My Doctor About My Back Pain?