What can I expect after spinal cord stimulation surgery?

Dr. Michael E. Steuer, MD
Pain Medicine Specialist

After spinal cord stimulation surgery, you can expect to recover for about 6 to 8 weeks. During that time, you won't be allowed to bend, lift or twist. After recovery, you can slowly start to do normal activities. Walking is encouraged, starting with short distances for two weeks and then gradually increasing to 1 to 2 miles per day. A physical therapy program may be recommended.

Continue Learning about Back Pain

What Does It Mean to Throw Out Your Back?
Maybe you felt a sharp, shooting pain in your lower back while lifting a laundry basket. Maybe you experienced muscle spasms a few minutes after a big...
Do I have a higher risk of back pain with a lower limb loss?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The back strain of having a lower limb prosthetic device is common. In a study reported in the Archi...
The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead.
What Does Smoking Have to Do with Herniated Discs?