How is spinal stenosis treated or cured?

There are several treatment methods for spinal stenosis. If it's mild, sometimes medications or epidural injections can be enough to give people relief. If it's severe enough that it is causing weakness or causing someone to fall, then doctors typically treat those people with surgery, because often those signs of changes can be permanent. The aim of treatment is, first of all, to stop the symptoms from getting worse, and second, to work to reverse them.

If the spinal stenosis is relatively mild with no permanent numbness, weakness, bowel or bladder problems then one may try conservative treatment of local pain with non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and physical therapy. However, if there are neurological symptoms then surgical decompression of the spine is the only way to relieve the mechanical compression on the spine.

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Smoking Causes Back Pain
Smoking Causes Back Pain
The Cleveland Cavaliers’ back-to-back-to-back victories made them the first team in NBA history to win a championship after being behind in the playof...
How does posture affect back pain?
To prevent low back pain when you stand, stand tall. Slouching or slumping puts strain on the spine ...
Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Back
Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your Back
Strengthen your back to prevent injuries.
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?