What should I do after I've thrown my back out and am in agony?

If you experience one of those oh-my-lord moments when your back gives out on you, know the first line of action: Grab the ice. Applying ice for 20 minutes at a time is going to lower the inflammation that's occurring from the strain. After you remove the ice, the blood flow increases in a way that relieves injured tissues away yet doesn't promote inflammation. Use ice for the first 24 to 48 hours, then switch to heat, which will help promote blood flow to speed healing (be it though pads, sauna, wraps, heating pads, fire-breathing dragons). By the way, when you use ice, your back will feel better afterward as it works to warm itself up. When you use heat, it feels better during the heat treatment itself, and then tends to stiffen up when you stop using it as the area cools down. Only use heat for 20 minutes at a time, or else you can overheat the muscles.

Of course, you can also use anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation, and docs may prescribe a muscle relaxant or shoot local anesthetic into the muscle (trigger point injections) to keep the darn things from spasming and feeling tighter than a cyclist's shorts. For a natural alternative, willow bark, the herb from which aspirin was derived, is often as effective as ibuprofen, and does not carry the risk of irritating your stomach if you rub it on.

You can also try certain stretches and exercises to alleviate back pain.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Back Pain

The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead. Just because you have back pain, doesn’t mean you have to be relegated to the couch. In f...
What Could Happen If I Let Acute Back Pain Go Untreated?
Why Is My Back Pain Worse in the Morning?
What Can I Do If My Low Back Hurts When I Exercise My Core?