To prevent lower-back pain while you walk, wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes that provide good arch support. High-heeled shoes put pressure on the lower back and increase the risk of a fall, which could result in a back injury. If you are carrying a briefcase, a purse or luggage, switch hands or shoulders often to balance out the stress on your back. You may also reduce your risk for back pain by using corrective inserts in your shoes.
- Q Why should I keep my back muscles healthy?
- Q How can I prevent back and neck pain from sitting?
- Q Can shoes affect back pain?
- Q To avoid back pain, what is the right and wrong way to bend over?
- Q How can I prevent back problems?
- Q How can I prevent back pain when I sit for a long time?