How can I prevent back pain when I stand for a long time?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
One of the most common complaints I hear from people with lower back pain is that they get increased pain when they have to stand in one place. This occurs because the transfer of weight-bearing loads is not taking place, and a physical strain is allowed to build up. If you find yourself in this predicament and cannot move around to change your position, you are going to have to change your weight distribution by changing your stance. The best way to do this is to frequently shift your weight back and forth from one leg to the other. If possible, prop one foot up on a small box or step, and occasionally alternate feet. Western tavern and saloon owners took advantage of this simple weight-transferring concept and devised the brass bar foot rail. This invention kept their customers comfortable enough to continue standing and drinking at the bar long enough to drink themselves into a reclining position.

Even if you find yourself having to belly up to the kitchen sink instead of a bar, you can still use the same weight transfer trick by opening one of the undersink cabinet doors, propping one foot up on the cabinet floor, and occasionally switching feet. Not only will this help transfer your weight, it will give you additional forward-bending leverage while you are leaning into the sink. Cashiers or factory line workers can also take advantage of this tip by placing a small box under their workstation and using it in the exact same manner. The most important thing to do when you're on your feet and cannot move around is to keep changing the weight bearing from one leg to the other.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Back Pain Remedies: Strike a Pose
Back Pain Remedies: Strike a Pose
Bend and twist? Totally bad news if you have an iffy back. But here are some back pain remedies that could have you feeling fine in no time: easy yoga...
Why should I get a second opinion about surgery for back pain?
According to Dr. Oz, a second opinion is a good idea if surgery is recommended within several months...
The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead.
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?