How can I prevent low back pain while using a computer?

If you have back pain from sitting at a computer, I recommend that you take three to five minutes every hour to get up, walk around and stretch. If you can’t walk very far, get up in your cubicle and stretch where you are. I also recommend getting an adjustable office desk that can be used for both sitting and standing. That can be very helpful because you can stand up for, say, half an hour, and then sit for half an hour. This can also help with pain.

The best way to avoid back pain if you use a computer a lot is to get up and move around frequently. Take stretching breaks every 30 minutes to one hour, if you can. There is no clear evidence on how best to position the computer screen and keyboard.

Some experiments suggest that you look straight ahead at the screen, with a viewing distance from the eyes to the screen  somewhere between 24-40 inches, or six inches below eye level at a distance of 40 inches. Different people pick different distances for maximum comfort. Find your most comfortable zone, but avoid getting closer than about 24 inches to avoid eye strain. The keyboard is in a good position when you can type without bending your wrists up or down and when your forearms are roughly horizontal.

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Ease Lower Back Pain
Ease Lower Back Pain
When low back pain strikes -- it hits about 80% of folks at least once -- almost everyone is told to take a Tylenol and take it easy. But until ...
What is chronic low back pain?
Claude Borowsky, MDClaude Borowsky, MD
If back pain lasts at least three months it’s considered chronic. Nearly everyone experiences back p...
The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead.
How to Determine Your Optimal Heel Height