How common is back pain in the United States?

Ronald B. Tolchin, DO
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
About 70% to 85% of Americans experience back pain at some point in their lives, according to a national survey. Back pain is one of the principle causes for visits to doctors in the U.S. In the great majority of cases, back pain will improve or go away with home treatments and time. But when back pain is severe or persistent, you need to see your doctor. About 5% to 10% of people who experience back pain may experience long-lasting or chronic pain. 

Continue Learning about Back Pain

What Does It Mean to Throw Out Your Back?
Maybe you felt a sharp, shooting pain in your lower back while lifting a laundry basket. Maybe you experienced muscle spasms a few minutes after a big...
What medications are used to treat chronic low back pain?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
Both non-narcotic and, rarely, narcotic pain medications may be used in the treatment of chronic low...
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
These seemingly harmless habits can leave your back screaming for mercy.
What Could Happen If I Let Acute Back Pain Go Untreated?