How common is back pain in the United States?

Ronald B. Tolchin, DO
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
About 70% to 85% of Americans experience back pain at some point in their lives, according to a national survey. Back pain is one of the principle causes for visits to doctors in the U.S. In the great majority of cases, back pain will improve or go away with home treatments and time. But when back pain is severe or persistent, you need to see your doctor. About 5% to 10% of people who experience back pain may experience long-lasting or chronic pain. 

Continue Learning about Back Pain

For a Healthier Back, Lighten Your Load
For a Healthier Back, Lighten Your Load
From your lunch to your water bottle to your gym clothes to your sneakers, we know that packing light is no easy feat if you’re trying to stay healthy...
How does lordosis affect the lower back?
Excessive curve of the low back can create low back pain, increase wear and tear on the intervertebr...
7 Ways You're Hurting Your Back Without Knowing It
7 Ways You're Hurting Your Back Without Knowing It7 Ways You're Hurting Your Back Without Knowing It7 Ways You're Hurting Your Back Without Knowing It7 Ways You're Hurting Your Back Without Knowing It
Even thumbing through your social media feed could be making it worse.
What Can I Do If My Low Back Hurts When I Exercise My Core?