How should I prepare for a doctor's appointment if I have back pain?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
If you see a physician about your back pain, before the appointment try to remember when the pain started, whether anything you do helps to relieve the pain (taking pain-relieving drugs, lying down, etc.), what brings on the pain (walking, bending over, etc.) and how you would describe the pain -- for example, is it a sharp, shooting pain or a dull ache? The more information you can provide to your doctor, the better chance you'll have of receiving an accurate and prompt diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Stenosis Headline Not In Sync With Study
Was the worst lip-sync disaster when Beyoncé bombed at President Obama’s 2013 inauguration or when Ashlee Simpson t...
How common are herniated lumbar discs?
Lower back pain is extremely common, affecting as many as 9 out of 10 Americans across a lifetime. T...
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
These seemingly harmless habits can leave your back screaming for mercy.
The 3 Types of Back Pain
The 3 Types of Back Pain