How can physical therapy help treat chronic low back pain?

Physical therapy to treat chronic low back pain includes patient education and a variety of stretching and strengthening exercises, manual therapies and modalities such as ice, heat, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) and ultrasound.

Active therapies that you can continue on your own, such as exercise and strengthening, usually have the most long-lasting effects. Designed to increase stability and strength around the structures in the back that are being stressed, exercise and strengthening also work to avoid deconditioning (reduced muscle tone) that results from decreased activity. These exercises are tailored specifically to your abilities and the type of back pain being addressed. 

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Back Pain Relief: 6 Solutions to Your Back Problems
Sometimes how you stand, sit or even sleep can cause back problems. In fact, the teensiest things—twisting that Champagne cork on a romantic night or ...
Got Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to Blame
Got Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to BlameGot Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to BlameGot Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to BlameGot Back Pain? These Conditions May Be to Blame
Weren’t involved in an accident? Didn't lift anything heavy? Here are some other possible culprits. Back pain is common. In fact, 8 out of 10 people ...
What Can I Do If My Low Back Hurts When I Exercise My Core?
How Can I Avoid Back Pain During Sex?
How Can I Avoid Back Pain During Sex?