How is back pain associated with nerve damage treated?

When back pain is associated with nerve damage the pain can be treated temporarily by an epidural injection or more permanently by surgery. The initial treatment is usually activity as tolerated, anti-inflammatory medication and possibly a muscle relaxant unless certain "red flags" are found, which means more urgent care is needed. These are: fever, bladder or bowel dysfunction, saddle anesthesia (numbness in the body area that would be used to sit on a saddle), and other signs that might indicate cancer.
Ryan Church, DNP
Nursing
Medications are one of several treatments that can be used to address back pain associated with nerve damage. Surgery may be an option if the pain is coming from nerve compression, bone spurs or disease above or below areas of previous spine surgery. Spinal cord stimulation utilizes an implantable device that helps scramble the nerve signal that goes to the brain. 

Continue Learning about Back Pain

6 Simple Things You Can Do to Ease Back Pain Now
Chances are you’ve experienced back pain at some point in your life. In fact, nearly two-thirds of Americans have lower back pain, according to the Am...
What is lumbar spinal stenosis?
Medical City DallasMedical City Dallas
Lumbar stenosis is a condition where the normal dimension of the lumbar spinal canal becomes signifi...
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
These seemingly harmless habits can leave your back screaming for mercy.
What Can I Do If My Low Back Hurts When I Exercise My Core?