How does lordosis affect the lower back?

Excessive curve of the low back can create low back pain, increase wear and tear on the intervertebral discs of the low back and cause weakness and tightness of the abdomen, hip flexors, and hip extensors. Excessive low back curve is one of the biggest contributors to low back injuries in the US. Because of the excessive curvature the discs are placed in a strained position and the core, hip extensor muscles become weak, and the hip flexors and back extensor muscles become excessively tight. As a result the body cannot properly stabilize the spine.   To eliminate excessive lordotic curvature, the NASM recommends strengthening the core muscles, the hip extensor muscles, and stretching the hip flexor muscles. 
Eric Olsen
Fitness

One of the most common causes of low-back pain results from lordosis, or swayback -- extreme inward curvature of the lower back. Excessive lordosis can affect the lower back in several ways: It can increase the risk of muscle fatigue and spasms. It can put added pressure on the disks, increasing the risk of microtears (imagine pressing your hand straight down on a jelly-filled donut; it can absorb that pressure evenly throughout, but if you press harder on one edge, the jelly is more likely to squirt out the other side). And excessive lordosis can cause inflammation of the facet joints of the vertebrae.

Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Continue Learning about Back Pain

For a Healthier Back, Lighten Your Load
For a Healthier Back, Lighten Your Load
From your lunch to your water bottle to your gym clothes to your sneakers, we know that packing light is no easy feat if you’re trying to stay healthy...
How can a spinal injection help if I have back pain?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
Your doctor may have suggested that you have a spinal injection to help reduce back pain and improve...
The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead.
What Position is Best for Sex If I am Pregnant and Have Back Pain?