How is gabapentin used to treat lower back pain?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Gabapentin (Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It works by blocking nerve signals in the brain that transmit pain. It can help reduce pain, fatigue, and anxiety. It also helps improve sleep. Some people have found modest short-term relief from spinal nerve pain with gabapentin.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Use This Sleep Position for Back Pain
Use This Sleep Position for Back Pain
If you've got a testy lower back, here's something you can do in your sleep that might help: Sleep on your side. Health experts say that this positio...
How does lumbar spinal stenosis affect my body?
West Hills Hospital & Medical CenterWest Hills Hospital & Medical Center
Lumbar spinal stenosis generally happens with older patients, and it causes back pain as well as num...
The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead.
Why Is My Back Pain Worse in the Morning?