How is gabapentin used to treat lower back pain?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Gabapentin (Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It works by blocking nerve signals in the brain that transmit pain. It can help reduce pain, fatigue, and anxiety. It also helps improve sleep. Some people have found modest short-term relief from spinal nerve pain with gabapentin.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Back Pain

The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead. Just because you have back pain, doesn’t mean you have to be relegated to the couch. In f...
What Are the Risks for Cervical Microdiscectomy Surgery?
What Does Smoking Have to Do with Herniated Discs?
What Should I Ask My Doctor About My Back Pain?