How should I deal with a recurrence of neck and back pain after treatment?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
After you have done everything you should do (targeted massage, range of motion exercises, directed stretching, self-investigation, and spinal hygiene) there is one last thing to remember. There will be setbacks. Only a handful of people ever go from constant or frequent episodes of neck and back pain to absolutely no pain ever again. But don't get discouraged. The longer you stay committed to your program of stretching, exercise, and massage the less likely it is that those setbacks will occur and the less severe they should be. I bring this to your attention because if and when a flare-up does occur you must be ready to meet it head on. It won't do you any good to say things like "Here I go again," or "I must be back to square one." Those things aren't true. If you've been diligent about keeping up with the stretching and exercises then even though you may feel like it's that same old pain, it actually isn't. Your neck and back have made some significant changes that should make these flare-ups mere shells of what they were. And although your initial interpretation is "Here I go again," the reality usually amounts to something much less than that. Because your spine is in better condition from all the hard work you have put in, the typical week or two of pain that flare-ups once caused could now be limited to not much more than a day or two.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Is Your Job a Pain in the Back?
Is Your Job a Pain in the Back?
Maybe you think that if you’re not a lumberjack, farmer or construction worker, you won’t have to worry about back pain at work. You’d be wrong, thoug...
What types of medications can help relieve back pain?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
NSAIDs, acetaminophen, and numbing creams, like lidocaine, are nonprescription medications that help...
The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead.
3 Steps to Relieve or Prevent Back Pain
3 Steps to Relieve or Prevent Back Pain