Can smoking raise my risk for back pain?

Ronald B. Tolchin, DO
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Smoking can increase your risk for developing back pain. Smoking can damage the blood vessels that supply adequate blood to your spine, minimizing blood flow to the area. In this way, smoking may speed up the natural aging of structures in your spine, such as the discs, causing them to dry out and crack, leading to pain. 

Continue Learning about Back Pain

This Surgery Can Help Relieve Chronic Back Pain
If you've ever had back pain, you’re not alone; eight in 10 Americans will experience this discomfort at some point in their lives. Often, the pain su...
Does back pain mean I have a bad back?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Although you might be angry with your back, it doesn't mean your back is bad! Back pain is usually c...
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain5 Surprising Habits That Cause Back Pain
These seemingly harmless habits can leave your back screaming for mercy.
What Position is Best for Sex If I am Pregnant and Have Back Pain?