Can smoking raise my risk for back pain?

Ronald B. Tolchin, DO
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Smoking can increase your risk for developing back pain. Smoking can damage the blood vessels that supply adequate blood to your spine, minimizing blood flow to the area. In this way, smoking may speed up the natural aging of structures in your spine, such as the discs, causing them to dry out and crack, leading to pain. 

Continue Learning about Back Pain

7 Surprising Fixes for Back Pain
7 Surprising Fixes for Back Pain
If you’re struggling with back pain, it’s not surprising—the National Institutes of Health (NIH) says that 80 percent of us will have back pain issues...
Are there alternative treatments for spinal pain?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
Staying fit, weight loss, and physical therapy can be alternative treatment options for spinal issue...
The Worst Exercises for Back Pain
The Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back PainThe Worst Exercises for Back Pain
Certain workouts can aggravate back pain. Try these instead.
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?