How debilitating can back pain be?

Millions of Americans suffer from all kinds of back pain - some of it chronic and throbbing, and some of it so debilitating and sharp that it'll send them to the floor yelping for their mama.
In many ways, back pain is a metaphorical gun-shot wound to your body because, depending on its intensity, it can paralyze you from doing anything - even walking, tying your shoes, or using the bathroom. (In fact, 72 percent of people who sought treatment for back pain gave up on sports and exercise and 46 percent of people with back pain say it was enough to have them give up sex. And not just for a day.) Back pain is so prevalent that it's spawned multi-million-dollar industries that are trying to deal with it. Anytime you have a lot of treatment options, it means none of them are perfect, or else the others would die off (I hate to use that word). Luckily, there are helpful things you can do, too. In general, less is more.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Back Pain

7 Surprising Fixes for Back Pain
7 Surprising Fixes for Back Pain
If you’re struggling with back pain, it’s not surprising—the National Institutes of Health (NIH) says that 80 percent of us will have back pain issues...
What causes cervical spinal stenosis (CSS)?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
Compression of the spinal cord is what causes cervical spinal stenosis. The spinal canal is measured...
Why can simply lying in bed be a bad idea when I have back pain?
Brian YeeBrian Yee
Prolonged resting with back pain is like having a sprained ankle and letting the swelling settle and...
Why do I need my hip examined if I have back pain?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Pain that you think is emanating from your back may instead be due to your hip. It’s very important ...