How can I avoid back pain during sex?

Peggy Brill
Physical Therapy

To avoid back pain during sex, you need to be evaluated and diagnosed properly; then you need to communicate with your partner to find what's most comfortable for you. Watch physical therapist Peggy Brill discuss how to prevent back pain during sex.

Some chronic back pain patients completely give up romantic aspirations for fear of further injury and pain. Being intimate with your spouse or partner is still possible, if you take the time to learn some new and comfortable positions for intercourse. Just because you’ve "always had sex this way," does not mean that’s the only way! You’ll have to be patient, take it slowly, and find the perfect positions that let you be intimate without causing further pain.

Your goal is to avoid stress on your back during sexual intercourse. Many back pain sufferers find having their partner on top or lying on their side is most comfortable.

For men with back problems, use the side position with man and woman facing each other.

For women with back and hip problems, use the side position with the man behind. Put a pillow between your knees for stabilizing the body.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Signs Your Back Pain May Be Something More Serious
Back pain is a common problem, affecting 80 percent of people at some point in their lives. But not everyone's discomfort is the same and some signs a...
Why do I have back pain after sleeping on my stomach?
Sara Wilson, FNPSara Wilson, FNP
In this video, Sara Wilson, NP, from West Valley Spine Center, explains how sleeping on your stomach...
Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Back
Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your Back
Strengthen your back to prevent injuries.
What Position is Best for Sex If I am Pregnant and Have Back Pain?