Can applying heat or cold help lower back pain?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Applying hot and cold compresses can help to reduce pain and inflammation associated with lower back pain and make it easier to move and change position. Watch the video for more on use of heat and cold to help lower back pain.

Michael Parsons, FNP

With an acute injury, cold is good. You want to decrease inflammation. But by the time I see the patient, we’re a week out. So I recommend heat. For people with chronic pain, I recommend alternating between hot and cold. The benefit is almost a way to confuse the nerves a little bit, so we’re distracted from pain.

Peggy Brill
Physical Therapy Specialist

When your back hurts, it can be hard to figure out whether to use cold or heat for relief. In this video, physical therapist Peggy Brill gives her recommendation.

Sara Wilson, FNP
Nursing Specialist

Heat and cold can help lower back pain, says Sara Wilson, NP, from West Valley Spine Center. Watch this video and see what order she recommends heating and icing your back and why.

Continue Learning about Back Pain

Ease Lower-Back Pain with This Step
Ease Lower-Back Pain with This Step
There might be a simple approach for treating lower-back pain, but you'll need a spotter. It's backward walking. In a small study of college athletes...
How can I relieve my upper back pain?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Upper back musculo-skeletal conditions are often related to stress. Depending on your profession...
Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Back
Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your BackExercises That Won’t Hurt Your Back
Strengthen your back to prevent injuries.
What Are the Risks Involved in Lumbar Microdiscectomy Surgery?