Why is core work good for the low back?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Many of us think of the core as just our front body. The core is just as much about the back body. The transverse abs act like a corset or weight belt around you, balancing weight between front and back body. In our studio we call them our “back brace.” The muscles in your back, along the spine, also work with your abs to support a neutral curve in the spine. If the abs are weak, the organs and weight of your body can pull forward and down. This tugs the spine forward at the low back, taking your spine out of neutral and causing back pain, sciatic pain, hip pain, or any number of problems with organ function.

Core work is good for the low back because the low back is actually considered part of the core! The lumbo-pelvic-hip complex, or core, consists of the muscles of the lumbar spine (low back), pelvis, and hip. Strengthening the entire core allows the LPHC to work effectively and efficiently.

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
What would be a safer back exercise if pull-downs hurt my shoulder?
If you're experiencing shoulder pain during the pull-down exercise it is best to stop that exercise ...
What should I avoid when doing the wall slides back exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Wall slides is a functional exercise to retrain your movement habits so that you are recruiting ...
What Is a Good Workout for My Back?
What Is a Good Workout for My Back?