What are some stretching exercises for spine flexion problems?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
A flexion problem occurs when the spine bends forward too easily or bends excessively at one or two vertebrae instead of evenly along the entire spine. People with these issues typically lack pelvic flexibility.

The following are some spine correction exercises for flexion problems:
  • Hamstring Stretches lengthen tight hamstrings that prevent pelvic flexion and train the spinal extensors to work better.
  • Wall Slides retrain your lower abdominal muscles to support optimal spinal mechanics.
  • All-Fours Rocking Stretch passively restores normal pelvic and spinal mechanics.
  • Heel Slides develop core muscles for greater control of the lower spine.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

To correct spine flexion problems try the following stretches:

• Hamstring stretches
  • Hip flexor stretches
  • Low-back stretches
  • Latissimus dorsi (large back muscle) stretches

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
How do I strengthen my back muscles?
To strengthen your back muscles you can do the bent-over back row exercise, using free weights.Muscl...
What is a good stretch to try after I've strained my back?
To alleviate back pain, try lying on your back flat on the floor with a small rolled towel under the...
What Is a Good Workout for My Back?
What Is a Good Workout for My Back?