What is a good way to stretch my back?

A good exercise to stretch the back is the Cat and Camel Stretch. To perform this stretch, get on your hands and knees. Knees should be directly under the hips and the hands should be directly under your shoulders. From this position draw your navel inward and slowly round your back much like a scared cat would. Hold the end position for 3-5 seconds. Then slowly transition to an arched back. Without moving your hips or shoulders slowly drop your ribs toward the ground and arch the back. Hold this position for 3-5 seconds. Repeat this movement for 10 repetitions.  Keep the navel drawn for the entire movement.

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Depending on what you need, forward bends and twists stretch the back in different ways. Often when people sit for long periods of time, they feel like they need a back “stretch,” but a back bend is really what feels like a relief. I find the spine craves balance. I try to do back bends, forward bends, and twists every day for my spine, and I teach them in every class. You can try a simple forward fold, with soft knees, to stretch your back. Use gravity to lengthen your spine and let the head hang -- it feels great. You can also place your seat against the wall for support.

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
What are some stretching exercises for spine rotation problems?
To correct spine flexion problems try the following stretches:Hamstring stretchesHip flexor stretche...
How do I do the windshield wipers exercise for back problems?
Lay down under a barbell with 45lbs plates on, placed on the ground. Grab on to the bar and lift you...
Is There a Stretch I Can Do to Loosen Up My Lower Back?