What do I avoid when doing the sitting or standing spine extension stretch?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The extension stretch exercise helps improve lower spine extension, thereby decreasing pain associated with excessive flexion. While sitting in a chair or standing, bring both hands to the base of your lumbar spine to support your back. Gently arch your spine into extension by equally tilting your pelvis forward. Repeat as often as necessary.

Common mistakes when doing the sitting or standing extension stretch exercise include:
  • Exclusively using your spinal muscles to achieve the extension can initially increase pain. Begin gently and passively first, and decide to use the back extensor muscles only after you have determined that this exercise doesn't increase your pain.
  • Extending your head too far back while extending your spine can cause neck pain. If you're doing this, you may be trying too hard.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

When performing this stretch avoid excessively hyper extending your spine. Additionally stop the exercise if you feel pain. You should feel a slight stretch in your abdominals, not spinal pain. Lastly, make sure you breathe normally and avoid holding your breath.

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
What is a great exercise to get bigger traps (trapezius muscles)?
A simple yet effective exercise to help build bigger traps (trapezius muscles) is the shoulder shrug...
How do I properly perform a dumbbell row?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
When performing a dumbbell row, stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and shoulder-width apart...
What Is a Good Seated Stretch for My Back?