What should I avoid when doing the hand-on-head exercise?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Common errors when doing the hand on head exercise -- which activates the upper trapezius muscle (located between shoulder and neck) to elevate your scapula (shoulder blade) and relax the levator scapula -- include:
  • Pain in your shoulder might be caused by some impingement (pinched or compressed tissue, usually between two bones) at the shoulder joint due to improper scapular mechanics. In this case, try bringing your elbow forward so it is pointing in front of you.
  • If this still hurts, then perhaps you are not adequately contracting the upper trapezius muscle. Tap it to connect your awareness to the muscle.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
How do I perform a ball back extension with rotation?
Lie face down on a stability ball, with the ball placed under your stomach. Straighten our legs, kee...
What are some examples of an upper trapezious workout?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Shrugs and Upright Rows are effective ways to train your upper traps. I tend to favor dumbbell shrug...
What Is a Great Rotational Stretch to Open Up My Spine?