How can I strengthen my middle traps (trapezius muscle)?

To strengthen the middle traps (trapezius muscle), you should perform any exercise that involves squeezing the shoulder blades together. A good exercise that accomplishes this is the seated cable row: 2-arm. To perform the seated cable row: 2-arm, follow the steps below. Sit facing a cable resistance machine.  Hold a cable in each hand, with the arms extended and at chest level.  Begin the cable row by bringing your thumbs toward the armpits while at the same time squeezing the shoulder blades together. Be careful not to shrug  the shoulders or jut the head forward. Hold briefly before returning to the start position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions. If a cable row machine is not available, an alternative exercise that will target the middle traps is the bent over dumbbell row: 2-arm.

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
How do I do the sitting or standing spine extension stretch for flexion?
Place both hands in your lower back region (lumbar spine). From this position gently extend your spi...
How can I strengthen my lower traps (trapezius muscle)?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Your lower trapezius muscle is a muscle that helps to control your shoulder blade.  More specificall...
What Is a Good Seated Stretch for My Back?