How do I properly perform a dumbbell row?

Wendy Batts
Fitness
When performing a dumbbell row, stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and shoulder-width apart.  Bend at your waist until your chest is at a 45 degree angle to the ground.  With a dumbbell in each hand, extend your arms and let them hang in front of your body.  Slowly bring your elbows back by bringing your thumbs toward your armpits and squeezing your shoulder blades together. Be sure not to shrug your shoulders or extend your head forward. Hold for two seconds and return to the start position. Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
To properly perform a dumbbell row, stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and shoulder-width apart.   Bend at your waist until your chest is at a 45 degree angle to the ground.  With a dumbbell in each hand, extend your arms and let them hang in front of your body.  Bend the elbows and pull the dumbbells up by trying to bring your thumbs toward your armpits, while at the same time squeezing your shoulder blades together being careful not to arch your back in the process.  Slowly return the dumbbells to the starting position and repeat. 
You can properly perfrorm a dumbbell row by doing the following:
  • Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and draw in your navel. 
  • Bend at your waist until your chest is at a 45 degree angle to the ground. 
  • Extend your arms and let them hang in front of your body with a dumbbell in each hand. 
  • Row the dumbbells, bringing your thumbs up toward your armpits. 
  • Contract your shoulder blades together and be careful not to arch your back. Return the dumbbells to the starting position and repeat. 
Put your left hand and left knee on a flat bench or couch, and your right foot firmly on the floor. Your torso should be parallel to the ground and your lower back slightly arched.

Hold a dumbbell in your right hand with your palm toward you, and let it hang by your side. Keeping your elbow close to your body, pull the dumbbell upward and back until it touches your hip. Make sure your back remains tight throughout the move.

Feel a contraction in your upper back muscles and then reverse direction, slowly returning to the start position. After completing all your repetitions with the right arm, repeat on the other side.

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
How can I reduce tension in my upper-back area?
A great way to stretch the upper back is to perform the thoracic spine foam roll technique. This te...
What would be a safer back exercise if pull-downs hurt my shoulder?
If you're experiencing shoulder pain during the pull-down exercise it is best to stop that exercise ...
What Is a Good Fitness Option for Backside Fat Reduction?