How can I strengthen my trapezius muscles?

With weights in your hands, keep your arms relaxed and hanging down throughout the movement. Lift your shoulders up toward your ears as high as you can (hunching is allowed here), then slowly lower them. Focus on moving only your shoulders and don't jut out your chin. Work up to 40 shrugs. To make it harder: Do it while balancing on your toes. You'll feel your calves working.

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
Why should I train my back muscles?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
The muscles of the back are often undertrained due to poor posture. Every time you slouch in you...
What is a great rotational stretch to open up my spine?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
When stretching your spine, be sure not to rotate to discomfort.  Rotation of the spine is something...
What Is a Good Stretch for a Stiff Back After Sleeping?