How do I do the sitting or standing spine extension stretch for flexion?

Place both hands in your lower back region (lumbar spine). From this position gently extend your spine and push your hips forward. Hold this position and return to the starting position. Repeat as desired.
Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The extension stretch exercise helps improve lower spine extension, thereby decreasing pain associated with excessive flexion.

While sitting in a chair or standing, bring both hands to the base of your lumbar spine to support your back. Gently arch your spine into extension by equally tilting your pelvis forward. Repeat as often as necessary.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
How does strengthening my rhomboids help improve my posture?
The rhomboids are responsible for squeezing the shoulder blades back and together and providing stab...
When I squat my low back feels stiff, what can I do?
If you experience tightness in your back when you squat you need to perform a more thorough warm up ...
Is There a Stretch I Can Do to Loosen Up My Lower Back?