How can I reduce tightness in my traps and neck?

To reduce tightness in the traps/upper-back region, perform the levator scapulae stretch. The levator scapulae is a muscle that works together with the traps and becomes very tense and overactive in many people, leading to upper back and neck pain, as well as tension headaches.  Perform the levator scapulae stretch by following the technique described below. Stand with the feet pointed straight ahead and shoulder-width apart, keeping your knees slightly flexed. To start, place one arm behind the body and lower the same side shoulder. Next, while tucking the chin, bring the opposite side ear to the the opposite shoulder gently pulling with the opposite hand until stretch is felt in the back of the neck on the target side. Last, to enhance the stretch, rotate the chin down toward the opposite side chest muscles and hold for 30 seconds.

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
How do I strengthen my back muscles?
To strengthen your back muscles you can do the bent-over back row exercise, using free weights.Muscl...
What back exercises are good for beginners?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
One of the best back exercises for a beginner is simply doing a back row:Back row – Grab a set of we...
What Is a Great Rotational Stretch to Open Up My Spine?