How do I do lower back rotation exercises?

Some example exercises inlcude back extensions and cable rotations.

[media id="DEV__4c7e54da442d56_20929606" title="Cable Rotation - M"]

[media id="DEV__4c7e45cf1c3c05_12433887" title="Ball Back Extension with Rotation - F"]

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
For lumbar rotation exercises, start from a forward-facing seated position. Slowly turn your chest and shoulders as if you are trying to look behind you. Turn only as far as you comfortably can, and be sure not to lean to the side as you turn. When you feel tightness or pulling on the opposite side, or compression and pinching on the same side, stop and hold that position for three to five seconds before coming back to the neutral position. Repeat this five to seven times, trying to notice a slight increase in the movement with each repetition. Keep in mind that you are not trying to stretch the muscles of your lower back, you are only trying to get some gentle movement in the joints. Then turn your chest and shoulders in the opposite direction, carefully completing another five to seven repetitions. Once you have finished the rotation exercise to each side, you can combine them into one smooth motion. Gently complete the entire cycle five to seven times.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
How does strengthening my rhomboids help improve my posture?
The rhomboids are responsible for squeezing the shoulder blades back and together and providing stab...
How can I strengthen my lower traps (trapezius muscle)?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Your lower trapezius muscle is a muscle that helps to control your shoulder blade.  More specificall...
Is There a Stretch I Can Do to Loosen Up My Lower Back?