What should I expect during my baby's hospital stay due to infection?

While your baby is in the hospital due to infection, the nursing staff will check up on your baby often. His temperature and pulse will be closely followed. He will be placed on a heart monitor for observation. The nurse will feed your child and change his diapers. If you would like to help feed and change your baby, you are welcome -- just ask his nurse. All diapers will be weighed to make sure your baby is making enough urine. He may be given acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help reduce the fever. Never give your child aspirin, because it is linked to a serious liver and brain disease called Reye's syndrome.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
How do I take my baby’s temperature?
Julie A. Gustin, MDJulie A. Gustin, MD
If you're concerned about a fever in your baby, how you take their temperature is somewhat depen...
What happens at checkups for babies at 12, 15 and 18 months?
At the 12, 15 and 18 month checkup visits, the doc will get vital statistics such height, weight, an...
Should I disinfect my baby’s umbilical stump at every diaper change?
Studies have shown that there is no reason for parents to try to disinfect their infant's umbilical ...