What should I expect during my baby's hospital stay due to infection?

While your baby is in the hospital due to infection, the nursing staff will check up on your baby often. His temperature and pulse will be closely followed. He will be placed on a heart monitor for observation. The nurse will feed your child and change his diapers. If you would like to help feed and change your baby, you are welcome -- just ask his nurse. All diapers will be weighed to make sure your baby is making enough urine. He may be given acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help reduce the fever. Never give your child aspirin, because it is linked to a serious liver and brain disease called Reye's syndrome.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
Should I disinfect my baby’s umbilical stump at every diaper change?
No, not during every diaper change. Just keep the stump clean and dry by wiping with clean gauze and...
How can I help my baby if they have nasal congestion?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
If the nasal congestion does interfere with your baby’s ability to eat or sleep, touch base with you...
What causes jaundice?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
When the bile duct becomes blocked -- for any reason -- jaundice can occur. Jaundice typically o...