What is the treatment for hemangiomas in infants?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
The usual treatment of hemangiomas in infants is a "tincture of time." The majority will undergo involutional atrophy and fade over time (50% by 5 years, 90% by 10 years). However, hemangiomas that lead to obstruction of the airway or visual interference should be treated immediately with steroids and/or laser therapy. Recent studies indicated that not only oral corticosteroids may be helpful, but also the use of the beta-blocker propanolol in infants. Surgical removal is the last resort when necessary. 

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
Why is it important to refrain from shaking a baby?
Whatever you do, do not shake your baby to get him to stop crying; his delicate brain can be per...
What are the health benefits of kissing my baby?
Subconsciously, when a mom kisses her baby, she's sampling pathogens that are on the baby's face and...
What do I do if my baby has a fever?
If your baby has a fever, which is defined as a temperature at or above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, th...