How often should my baby poop?

Once your baby is feeding and stooling well the first few weeks of age, it isn't uncommon for them to go long periods without pooping. That doesn't necessarily mean they're constipated. But if your baby goes more than seven days without a poop, your doc may recommend an over-the-counter glycerin suppository. Slide it in, and it helps poop slide out.

If you feel like your baby is pooping more than your coffee-drinking and bean-eating uncle, it's not necessarily a bad thing. As long as she is growing normally and gaining weight, it's okay; it just means that her GI system is running efficiently. If you are particularly concerned about your baby's weight gain, you can buy a home baby scale.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
How can I protect my baby from germs?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
All newborns are vulnerable to germs. To protect your baby, follow these guidelines: • Make eve...
What causes jaundice?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
When the bile duct becomes blocked -- for any reason -- jaundice can occur. Jaundice typically o...
What are signs that a newborn needs immediate medical attention?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Please call your pediatrician if you notice any of these symptoms in your baby: A rectal tempera...