Why does a newborn need a hearing test?

Dianne Parker
Dianne Parker on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics

A newborn hearing screen is important to prevent speech problems from occurring as the baby develops. If there is a hearing deficit, speech therapy can be put into place to help the child learn to speak correctly. If there is total hearing, loss further tests can reveal causes that may require surgical intervention.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
What should I avoid when taking my newborn baby out for the first time?
Dianne ParkerDianne Parker
When taking a newborn out for the first time one should avoid large crowds, people with coughs, snee...
What should I expect during my baby's hospital stay due to infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
While your baby is in the hospital due to infection, the nursing staff will check up on your baby ...
How often should I change my baby's pacifier?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
Our studies have shown that within 1 week of use, not only is the surface of the pacifier contaminat...