Why does a newborn need a hearing test?

Dianne Parker
Dianne Parker on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics

A newborn hearing screen is important to prevent speech problems from occurring as the baby develops. If there is a hearing deficit, speech therapy can be put into place to help the child learn to speak correctly. If there is total hearing, loss further tests can reveal causes that may require surgical intervention.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
What should I avoid when taking my newborn baby out for the first time?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Avoid any closed areas where your baby could be exposed to lots of people who may be sick such as th...
How do I take my baby’s temperature?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The best ways to take a temperature in a newborn are rectal and axillary. Because babies may have fl...
How often should my baby poop?
Once your baby is feeding and stooling well the first few weeks of age, it isn't uncommon for them t...