Why is it important to refrain from shaking a baby?

Whatever you do, do not shake your baby to get him to stop crying; his delicate brain can be permanently damaged. If you feel yourself reaching your limit of frustration and exhaustion dealing with a colicky baby, enlist a support person -- partner, friend, neighbor, relative, sitter -- to give you a break.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
What causes jaundice?
Newborn jaundice is usually caused by the newborn's inability to effectively clear bilirubin which i...
How do I take my baby’s temperature?
Julie A. Gustin, MDJulie A. Gustin, MD
If you're concerned about a fever in your baby, how you take their temperature is somewhat depen...
How can I tell if my baby is sick?
Infants cannot directly communicate their complaints so it is important to know some basic signs to ...